By LulaFit Chef Grace Goudie
Starting the morning with a hearty and balanced meal is essential for a successful day. Toasts have become an increasingly popular method to obtain proper nutrients and ensure you have enough fuel for one of the most crucial parts of the day. It is quick and easy to make various exciting toast combinations and even easy to execute on the go. All of these recipes can be prepped ahead of time, and simply assembled before you walk out the door.
Each recipe creates 1 piece of toast!
Hummus & Jammy Egg
- 2 tbsp Hummus
- 1 Egg, soft boiled
- 1 Radish, cut into matchstick-size
- 1/2 mini Persian cucumber, sliced thin
- 4 Cilantro leaves
- 1 tsp Everything spice
- To cook eggs until the center is jammy, carefully drop the whole egg into boiling water for 7 minutes. Cool egg down in ice water. Peel the shell off the egg.
- Toast assembly: Toast bread and then spread the hummus on the bread, top with the cucumbers and radish. Place eggs on top of the toast. Finish with cilantro and everything spice.
- 1/2 bunch Broccolini
- 1 tbsp Sunflower oil
- 1 tbsp Greek yogurt
- 1 tsp Olive oil
- 1/4 tsp Lemon juice
- 1 Scallion, sliced thin
- 3 Mint leaves, torn into small pieces
- 1 tbsp Cashews, rough chopped
- 1/4 tsp Curry powder
- 1/8 tsp Turmeric powder
- 1/4 bulb Fennel
- Salt, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Trim the ends off the broccolini. Saute with sunflower oil on high heat for 3 minutes, each side. Season with salt. Roast for 10 minutes in the oven to finish cooking.
- To make the yogurt sauce, mix yogurt, scallion (sliced thin), mint (torn into small pieces), ¼ tsp olive oil, and lemon juice.
- To season the cashews, mix with ¼ tsp olive oil, curry powder and turmeric.
- Shave or thinly slice fennel.
- Toast assembly: After toasting the bread, spread the yogurt sauce first, followed by the fennel then broccoli and finish with the cashews.
Apple & Dates Toast
- 1/4 Granny Smith apple, sliced
- 1 Medjool date, pitted and sliced into rings
- 1 tbsp Ricotta cheese
- 1/2 tbsp Olive oil
- 1/4 tsp Honey
- 1 tbsp Pistachios, crushed
- Season the ricotta cheese with olive oil, lemon juice and honey.
- Toast assembly: toast bread, spread ricotta mixture on the toast. Top with sliced apples, then dates and finished with pistachios.