Makes 8-10 Servings
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 large onion, diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 leeks, chopped
2 large carrots, chopped
3 celery stalks, diced
2 bay leaves
1 tablespoon fresh thyme
2 teaspoons kosher salt
8 cups vegetable broth
1 (32 ounce) can chopped tomatoes
16 ounces dried lentils
2 cups kale, chopped
- Heat the oil in a sauté pan over medium heat and cook the onions for 4 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook for an additional minute.
- Place the onion mixture with the remaining ingredients in a crockpot* and stir.
- Cover and cook the lentils on high heat for 4 hours or low heat for 8 hours or
until lentils are tender.
- Top with the desired condiments and serve.
- To freeze leftovers, cool until room temperature. Label a freezer friendly bag with the date and description. Pour remaining soup into the bag and place it in the freezer, laying flat.
*You can also place all of the ingredients in a large pot over low to medium heat and cover for 90 minutes or until tender.