This Passover we’re bringing you two of our favorite sweet and savory matzo recipes! A creative take on matzo brei makes for a sweet treat, and a savory breakfast sandwich is sure to satisfy all palates. Enjoy, and Happy Passover!
Sweet: Matzo Brei Cupcakes
Adapted from The Cupcake Project
This sweet treat is a fun take on the traditional matzo brei! You can adapt this recipe to make as many or as few cupcakes as you’d like. For every two cupcakes, you will need one piece of matzo, 6 tbsp of matzo brei, and ¼ cup of jam or topping of choice. The recipe below is for a dozen cupcakes.
- 6 pieces matzo
- 2 1/4 cups matzo brei
- 1 1/2 cups jam, frosting or topping of choice (check for Kosher labels depending on preferences)
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Soak matzo in water until it is soggy and falling apart.
- Grease cupcake tins.
- Press a layer of wet matzo into each cupcake well, covering all sides to form a cup.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until the cups are crispy.
- Fill each cup to the top with hot matzo brei.
- Spread topping over the top.
- Serve immediately.
Savory: Boomwelloh Breakfast Sandwich
Adapted from I Will Not Eat Oysters
This yummy sandwich is not only fun to say, but also can be adapted to suit your tastes. Use kale or spinach to add some color and a healthy dose of veggies, or even add a slice of tomato or onion. Swap out ricotta cheese for cream cheese or a dairy-free alternative, and you’ve got a great brunch dish!
For the boomwellohs:
- 6 pieces matzo
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp fresh cracked pepper
For the veggies:
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 2-3 handfuls chopped kale or spinach
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- salt & pepper to taste
- splash of lemon juice
For the sandwiches:
- 4 eggs, fried or over easy
- 1 cup smooth ricotta cheese
- Optional: slice of tomato or red onion
Make the Boomwellohs:
- In a large bowl, break the matzo into pieces. Cover them completely with warm water and let it sit for 5 minutes. Drain the water and press the matzo against the bowl to get as much of the liquid out. Break the matzo up with your hands. It should be soggy but not wet. Add the eggs, salt, and pepper. Mix together to form the batter.
- Heat a medium pan over medium-high heat. Add enough oil to cover the bottom of the pan. When the oil is hot, drop the batter to form a round, pancake like, patty. It should be no thicker than 3/4″. Ration the batter out to make 8 boomwellohs. Drain on a paper towel. Season with salt.
Sauté the Greens:
- Heat the olive oil in a pan over medium heat. Add the kale or spinach and sauté until wilted, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add the garlic and sauté for another minute. Remove from heat, splash with lemon juice, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Spread a bit of the ricotta cheese on the bottom boomwelloh.
- Layer the kale on top, then place the fried egg on top. Add any additional veggies or toppings, then finish with another boomwelloh.